So we’ve started to make greater use of the analytics systems we set up in the beginning of the semester, which has given me a bit of a greater idea of where to take this blog in the future.

Right now, most of my user acquisition is through direct links from other student’s blogs that have linked to me, split roughly in half with people that have discovered my site through my twitter account, where I occasionally post updates. So, it seems like working together with other blogs as well as my pre-established social media activity is the best route to getting new users. Most of my pageviews are in the post category sections of my website, as well as some of the drop-offs. A very large number of drop-offs tend to happen on my home page, which I might be able to fix by adding some text to read or buttons to click in that relatively empty stretch when you first load into the homepage.

As someone known to use the internet themselves I can definitely relate to the user’s perspective of feeling invaded by these kinds of record-keeping. Especially in regards to the sort of profiling done by Google or Twitter. For this reason, I’ve tried to keep the data I look at as anonymous as possible, disabling demographics reports in Google Analytics. It might seem sub-optimal when it comes to figuring out my audience, but from my experiences with Google’s demographics service, the information they provide is typically broader than I can naturally use in my blog and does not provide enough of a benefit to outweigh the sort of cost of leaving my users feel watched or my content seem contrived to target them specifically.

Leave a Reply